Sunday, October 3, 2010

Like Parents, Like Children



As I busied myself at home, I came to the abrupt conclusion that I am metamorphing into my parents! It all started a couple of days ago when my sister who is currently at high school was getting ready for her homecoming. Like a good sister I asked her around what time she thought she’d be home... ‘I don’t know’ was her answer. Great. So while taking a break from ruthlessly studying for my sociology test, I called my sister, our conversation went something like this, ‘When are you coming home?’
My sister responds, ‘I don’t know...’
“How do you not know, when it looks like the party is thinning out, you know.”
My sister sighs, ‘Well the crowd isn’t thinning and people are still arriving.”
“So around what time will you be home?”
“I don’t know, I’ll call you later.”
I wait. I study. I drink some tea. My mother goes to bed, she doesn’t seem too worried. I wait. I study. I drink more tea and then I pick up my phone. “Where are you?”
My sister responds, “I’m at a rave.”
“A rave? I thought you were at homecoming!”
“We were but we are now at the after party.”
I was getting really annoyed. So after those lovely phone calls, I realised that I had started using words like ‘old chap’ ‘cheery’ and ‘dashing young man,’ and had no idea where I had picked such vocabulary up. I have started bringing up the weather in every conversation, I talk about the younger generation with disdain and I have started changing my programmed radio stations to sad, 60’s songs. What is happening? After some research, it comes down to this. All human beings start life as a baby and ultimately die as babies, when we are unable to do simple tasks without aid; well we are turning into our parents. Simple as that. *rubs hands together* Oh I can’t wait to set my sister a curfew!

No comments:

Post a Comment