Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bonjour?

Having spent most of my childhood growing up in France, I can without a doubt make the statement that "I CAN speak French."  I'm sure that most of you are familiar with the quaint French Cafe, La Madeleine.  If not, well it's a so called French restaurant that serves so called French food.  As I walked through the door I was greeted by a hostess with the welcoming phrase "Bonjour, et bienvenue a La Madeleine," (translation: hi, and welcome to La Madeleine).  I was so impressed and eager to practice my French, although her Texan accent would have probably come under scrutiny if she had said that in France.  Nevertheless, I decided to reciprocate her warm greeting with "merci beaucoup madame" (translation: thank you so much miss), only to be given a puzzled and blank glare in return.  Confused by the whole situation - the atmosphere started to get slightly awkward as I stared at her and she stared back at me - I quickly decided to move along and sit down.  When the food eventually arrived, another French phrase was used "bon appetite" (translation: have a good meal), I decided to test the water one more time "Monsieur est ce que vous avez du sel? (translation: excuse me sir, do you have any salt?).  Once again, a blank expression took over his face as he jittered around not knowing what to do - this was completely hopeless.  I decided to shut up, and eat my food satisfied with the conclusion that "fake" sells, it just has to be presented in the right way.  If people are unaware/uneducated on the matter it is really easy to mislead and misinform.

So, the moral of the story - don't believe everything you hear or see.

No comments:

Post a Comment